The Gingus Chronicles

Friday, June 30, 2006

I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more...

Last night I continued my "walk" to a healthier me. But this time I timed what I could do in a mile. I had no idea what I was or wasn't capable of, so I was fairly curious as to what kind of shape I was actually in. So, with the aid of a pro runner and his stopwatch, I ventured into uncharted territory.

First, I'll share with you my usual routine. I go to the Ada track, first of all. I get there and immediately walk a half-mile (2 laps) whilst listening to some of my favorite tunes on the iPod. Before too long, I'll share with you a decent running playlist. I'm sure you are all waiting impatiently for me to share. Yeah.

So, after I walk two laps around, I pause at the starting line, and do a light stretch. Then I proceed to run a full mile (4 laps). After I run the mile, I walk another half-mile. By this time I have went around the track 8 times (2 miles) total. I'm half-way done. I basically do the same kind of thing again until I reach a total of 4 miles. Sometimes I'll replace a lap or two of walking with jogging/running. That's basically it. Depending on how I'm feeling, I may do a little more or a little less.

Last night was unique in the fact that I timed what I could do. I did three different timings... if that's a word. The first I timed a mile, which was timed at 8 minutes and 13 seconds. Not bad, I suppose, but I felt like I could do a lot better. So, I timed my next mile, which was at a whopping 7 minutes and 15 seconds. Almost a full minute faster. And the lap times were as follows: 1'58", 1'48", 1'46", 1'42". It was weird how I got faster with each lap. And each lap I became more and more tired. I guess I was impressed with the second timing. I don't know how good that is or isn't. My goal is to reach a 6 minute mile by the end of July.

Okay... I'm hungry now. I want food. I'ma do sumptin' 'boutit.

Until next time, vaya con Dios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >