The Gingus Chronicles

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Just like old times...

It's always great to catch up on old times with people you used to hang out with. In this case, it's my cousin, who, for the past two years, has been teaching in Poland.

We aren't cousins by blood. My aunt and her dad remarried when I was still in late grade school (I can't remember exactly). We didn't live in the same town, but she would usually stay with her dad on the weekends. So, we would hang out when she came up. Church activities and "going to town" would be the among the basic things we would do. We would listen to the same music, make fun of the same people, and go to the same places like Mexico and Falls Creek. We were like best friends.

Then she graduated high school. She was a couple of years ahead of me so while she was in college, I was still in high school. She went to Southeastern. And later I went to East Central. We should be enemies, but no, we were still like best friends. But even when she was in college she would still visit. But as time went on the visits became less and less. Our paths wouldn't intersect quite as often. We grew apart.

Then she got a teaching job in Texas for one year. So, I barely got to see her. Then she decided to teach in Poland for the next two years with visits later in the summer. But whenever we spent time with each other it was never the same.

Last night I got to see her for the first time in about a year. She called me to ask me when we are going to hang out again. So, I told her of my plans to visit H2O Church because they were starting their Saturday night service featuring the music of Souled Out. I asked her if she wanted to accompany me and she politely accepted. We chatted a bit on the way up to the church, which was nice. We get to the church and have a great time. Great music, free water,... awesome. I think she liked it as well. Anyway, we then went to Mazzio's (pizza place) for some grub. That was when I felt like we "reconnected" for the first time in years. We shared stories of past times with one of my friends who came along with us. It was great to finally be able to laugh and reminisce like old times.

I know it will never be exactly like old times, but isn't it nice to reconnect? She will more than likely be heading back across the seas fairly soon. I miss her like crazy considering all the good times we've had and could have had if she would have stayed here. She was my best friend. One of those people I could tell anything to. We would share our deepest thoughts with each other and told the other what we thought about it without trying to tell them what they wanted to hear. We've cried to each other in both good and bad times. We've shared secrets we wouldn't tell anybody else. I've missed that. I don't have anything like that right now. So, not only do I miss having that kind of relationship with somebody, I miss her as well.

So, I guess one thing I would want to learn from all of this is to never take your friends for granted. We are told to love our neighbors. It doesn't hurt to let them know that.

Until next time, vaya con Dios.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >