The Gingus Chronicles

Monday, July 17, 2006

Leaving on a jet plane

Well, more like a church van...

I return to Falls Creek tonight and every night this week. Not as a camper. Not as a worker. But as a drummer! In other words, I'll be the only non-musician in the van.

Doug Matlock, somebody else.... and I will be doing the night worship at a cabin for their worship service. I have been looking forward to it for over a month now. I always like the opportunity to play the drums, especially when Doug is playing. Him playing the guitar makes me sound better.... besides... it's all about me anyways. Totally kidding there.

I have been playing for about 9 or 10 years now. No, I don't practice everyday. So, I'm nothing close to being an expert or anything, but I wouldn't consider myself horrible at it. My uncle, who is an amazing musician, first encouraged me to learn. He had a simple drum set and taught me a basic drum beat. So, I sat down and tried to get that basic beat down. Eventually, I learned it. The toughest thing was learning how to do three things at the same time. Once I got that down, I added to my repertoire. Then I learned how to raise the roof. It's quite invigorating.

I first played in front of people at my home church. It took me a while to become comfortable playing in front of people, which there weren't very many at that church. Then I got to college. I played for a college ministry group called "Crossfire", which is associated with the U.C.M. That is where I first learned actually how to play. That was my first "band" experience. I quickly learned different ways to play and how to "listen" to the song and play. I owe most of my skills to playing in Crossfire. Fun times.

I will found out something that may totally effect my future tomorrow. Pray for me.

A disco ball fell on that guys head. He bled, I hurled.

Until next time, vaya con Dios.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >