The Gingus Chronicles

Friday, April 27, 2007

15 Minutes? More like 15 Seconds


And now to tell you about my adventure with the Newsboys and friends.

The concert was on Wednesday, April 21st. The day before was spent solely on building the stage and trusses. That took a tremendous amount of work. I'm not sure on the exact number, but I believe there were around 40+ people helping. That's not counting the ones who are driving the trucks and the normal stage builders not from around Ada. We finally finished late that night after a good 8-10 hours of work just building the stage and other items.

On Saturday, the day of the concert, was spent doing everything else. That meant unloading all of the concert gear, including sound, light, and much more equipment. That began at 8 a.m. I planned on being there, but getting up in the a.m. is not my cup o' tea. I got there roughly around 11 a.m. By this time a considerable amount has been done. I was amazed.

I was appointed to a security position near center stage. Sweet action. I probably had the best vantage point in the whole place.

The concert went off without a hitch. The first two bands were good (Kutless and Stellar Kart)... loud but good. Then, the moment I waited for, the Newsboys made their appearance. They were amazing. They did their ever famous dueling drum solo. BUT, the best part in my opinion was when I GOT TO SING WITH THE NEWSBOYS. Yes, you heard me correctly. I got to sing part of a song during the concert.

They started to sing one of their hit songs, "Breakfast", when the lead singer proceeded on the catwalk. He walked right near me but my back was to him because I had to watch the crowd... you know, doing my duty. But I was singing along all the while. By the time the chorus came along, the lead singer (Peter Furler) noticed I was singing with the song. So, he put the microphone in front of my face! So, I just sang as loud and as well as I could. When "my" part was over, Mr. Furler looked at me and asked me if I would be willing to shave my head. (You see, he has a shaved head, implying that I would be just like him). He then did one of those "cool" new handshakes-but-they-aren't-really-a-tradtional-handshake-handshake. It was one of those closed-fist pounds. Anyway, it was a highlight of my concert-going life.

Aftwards, we broke down the entire set. The concert ended at 10 p.m and we were through breaking down at around 3 a.m. During the breaking down part, one worker pretty much got his finger cut off while disassembling the drums. He got it sewed back on later. However, I haven't heard anything more about him.

Again, enough words... let the picture finish the story...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >