The Gingus Chronicles

Monday, March 19, 2007

Day 2: The Legend of the Fall

Today was the first day on the slopes. For me, it was "Learning How to Ski" day.

We woke up at 7 a.m. Which I was thrilled about, by the way. I mean, this is my mini-vacation... why am I getting up earlier than I did going to work? Anyway, the wake-up was thrilling because I didn't get much sleep last night. Not only that, my cell phone, which also serves as an alarm clock woke me up an hour ahead of time. Not cool. My cell phone automatically updates with the time... as long as it has service. I did not have service since entering the mountains. But, for some reason, the phone didn't keep accurate time... and it didn't account for the time zone change. So, instead of, say 5 p.m., it read 11 a.m. I manually configured the time, which was the same as the clock in the room that I'm staying. But my phone decided to wake me up an hour early.

The skiing was fun... as long as I was still on two legs. As soon as we got our gear rented, we head out to the slopes. This was about 9 a.m. The first thing to do was learn how to ski. So, we went to school. Our instructor was our Ski-Daddy. Let me tell you... it was a lot more difficult than it looks. And the boots you have to wear make you feel like your special when you walk on them.

So, not ten minutes in to the lesson I committed my first crash.... INTO THE INSTRUCTOR. Not a good first impression. But we took it slow and steady.

Stopping was my main concern... as it should be. But later, turning was my biggest obstacle to overcome. Every time I tried to turn, I face planted into the powder. But I got better.

I fell several times, and I only have a little cut on my finger to show for it. Oh, and I cramped up pretty bad on my left hip, which made me fall once or twice.

By the end of the skiing day, I was absolutely worn out. My feet hurt like a mother (which is not good) and I was tired. It will wear you out if you aren't in shape, like me. But I had a good time and I'm looking forward to crashing...eh... I mean skiing tomorrow.

Until next time, vaya con Dios.

1 Comments:

  • The first, and only time, I went skiing, I fell so many times in ski school that I decided to give up and go shopping. The shopping was fun, though! I was only about 15 at the time, and I sucked at being bad at something, so I was a quitter. I'm glad you didn't give up and that you're still giving it a try.

    By Blogger Amy, queen of the world., at Tue Mar 20, 12:38:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >