The Gingus Chronicles

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

It's smoking season

Heading into the break, my team is a whopping 7-1. We played a game today at 12:30 against, I guess, a rival of sorts. It's the third time we've played them this year already. It's probably the best game we've played all season so far. Plus, everybody got to play. When you get everybody in the game, that's means either you are getting smoked, or you are doing the smoking. Fortunately, we did the smoking.

I am very proud of "my" girls. We have roughly 20 girls that came out for basketball, and there is only 15 basketball uniforms to hand out. So, if you did the math correctly, some girls don't get a jersey. I'll admit that one of the worst parts of coaching is picking those who gets a suit and who doesn't. Sometimes it would be easier to just flip a coin. But, today I asked if anybody would like to forfeit their suit so somebody would have a chance. And a girl who has gotten a suit for every game so far volunteered her suit to somebody else. Not only was it just her, but another girl did the very same thing. That act of kindness will not go unappreciated. What they did was allow somebody else a chance to play. It meant a lot to me and I'm sure it meant a whole lot to those that got to play.

I'll say it again. I am truly blessed to have this group of girls. They keep me loving my job. I don't know what else to say... I wish they would stay this age so I can coach them every year.

I only have one more thing left to do in my college life. It's a final paper that is due Friday. I'll probably do it late Friday night. Once a procrastinator, always a procrastinator.

Until next time, vaya con Dios.

2 Comments:

  • Thats a really cool story. It's says so much about the character of those young women. Thanks for sharing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Dec 14, 03:42:00 PM 2006  

  • Smoking season-two weeks in December when cigarettes are fair game. Grab yer gun, Billy Bob.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Dec 16, 02:03:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >