The Gingus Chronicles

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Waters all around!

Yesterday, I took a break from the normal, mundane life I have of sitting on the couch and staring at the wall for hours. I went with a few friends to Oklahoma City (Bricktown). Our plan was to go to the Penn Square Mall, get a little to eat, and proceed to the movie theatre to watch Hostel. We accomplished two of the three. The later was a no go. It was, sadly, sold out. Then all 4 of us stood there.... waiting... for somebody to take the initiative to decide what we all should do with the extra time. Instead of somebody deciding what to do, we just started walking.... and walking...... and walking..... you get the idea. Eventually someone decided to go into a place called TapWerks. It was the first "bar" I've ever been to. Now, I will say I wasn't "comfortable" going into this place because, you know, it really isn't my kind of scene. I do not drink and I usually don't like hanging out with people who do.

Now I know much of you are going to call me a hypocrite for doing this, but I don't care. I didn't drink and I never even thought about doing so. Besides, if the driver had too many, I could take the wheels and drive us all home safely. I was a backup driver, so to speak. I did find something fun to do while I was in there though... make fun of people. Now, I didn't say anything out loud. That would be dumb. The last thing I want to do is make a bunch of drunk people mad. The waitress looked at me weird at one point and asked me if I was okay. Since I didn't have a beer in front of me I guess she was worried for my well being. Sheesh. I appreciated how the others respected how I felt about alcohol. They didn't give me much crap about it. I took pride possibly being the only person in that whole place who didn't have one drop.

And there was a live band upstairs... but sadly they played country music.... bleh. But that place had a couple of saving graces....1: a pool table, and 2: a dart board. I enjoyed both. The place did make me smell like an ashtray, though. I was officially stank upon leaving the facility.

Now, on our way to go eat earlier in the evening, we passed by an older gentleman playing the guitar as a "street performer". He had the coin bucket and everything. So we went and ate, went by the theatre, went to the bar place, and approached the same spot where this "performer" was previously. But he wasn't there. His guitar and personal items were still there, but just not him. Instead, it was a much younger (my age) guy who picked up the guitar and started playing it. We asked him where the other guy was and the young man responded by saying, "I don't know WHERE he is! But I just stole his guitar!" So, he continued to play. He was pretty good, I might add. So we stayed there listening to him for a few minutes. We headed across the street to where the car was parked. And by this time the owner of the guitar returned. Instead of just grabbing the guitar back, he did the "I am not worthy! I am not worthy!" bowing towards the young man. It was totally the opposite reaction that I was expecting. Funny stuff though.

So, yes, I went to a bar for the first time. BUT DON'T WORRY! Church is tomorrow. AND I WILL BE THERE. I didn't sell my soul to the devil last night, just so you know. So, you need not worry about the accountability. But was I thrilled about going to such a place? Absolutely not. I would much rather have been somewhere else. I didn't say my wishes aloud, which I probably should have. But oh well. Once a sinner, always a sinner, right? Guilty.

Until next time, vaya con Dios.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >