The Gingus Chronicles

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Rhinotillexomania

Does anybody know the meaning of the word? Well, I just found out. I was bored and I had nothing better to do. Well, I did have something more IMPORTANT to do, but obviously I didn't do such activities. Instead, I looked up stupid words.

The meaning of Rhinotillexomania is habitual or obsessive nose-picking. Now you can say you learned something today. If you already knew what this word meant, then I guess you will have to learn from another source another time. Open a book for Pete's sake.... by the way.... who is this Pete we keep referring to anyway?

What about the phrase through the grapevine? And no, it didn't come from the song.

The phrase was invented in the USA sometime in the late 1840s or early 1850s. It provided a wry comparison between the twisted stems of the grapevine and the straight lines of the then new electric telegraph marching across America. The telegraph was the marvel of the 1840s (Samuel Morse’s first line was opened between Washington and Baltimore on 24 May 1844 and rapidly expanded in the following decade), vastly improving the speed of communication between communities. In comparison, the grapevine telegraph was by individual to individual, often garbling the facts or reporting untruths (so reflecting the gnarled and contorted stems of the grapevine), but likewise capable of transmitting vital messages quickly over distances.

So, now you know. If you still didn't learn anything today, then you are just a smarty pantalones.

Quick story to finish up: Yesterday I sub teached again. In between one of the classes I stepped in the hall and a teacher that I subbed for last week passed by. He said to me that one of his classes told him that they'd almost rather have me teach their class. Apparently I taught them a new way of doing something (with the math terms sine, cosine, and tangent) and they liked they way I did it. Either that or it was when I gave them jolly ranchers towards the end of class. But I'll tell myself that it is the first option. (This was in no way me wanting to boast myself in front of others. This is just me saying that I'm better than everybody else. OK. Totally just kidding there. Anybody who knows me knows I don't think that way. At least I hope people don't think I think that I think I'm better than everybody. Confusing? Yeah....)

Until next time, vaya con el Poptarts... I mean Dios.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
< - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + >